Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Advice

Our niece is expecting her first baby, and her Mom asked us all to write some words of advice to her to be compiled in a book. At first I couldn't think of anything to contribute to the book. But gradually ideas came to me. Here's what I wrote down and sent to her: (she's having a boy, and they will name him Connor)

#1" After I had my first baby, the responsibility of taking care of another person was very heavy! I thought, "I'll never be able to do anything ever again!" So...Just remember when it all seems too difficult to bear, that you will make it through, and there will be much joy along the way."
#2 " When Connor gets a little older, teach him to expect difficulty and trials in life, and to meet them with optimism and a determination to learn from and overcome them.!"
#3 Praise Connor for everything good he does, and always let him know how much you love him."
#4 When Connor enters a difficult stage ( the terrible two's, for instance), just hang on and endure, and remember this stage won't last forever."

I would add to #3: Teach him how much he is loved by Heavenly Father and the Savior, first and foremost. Help him discover ways to feel that love.

I wish I had known #2 when I was younger. That was something I didn't comprehend until I was older and my children were almost grown.

I would like to hear what Jessi, Audra and others wrote for their advice. It is good to share a little wisdom that you have picked up along the way. Do you have any more wisdom that you can share with me? I'd love to hear it!

4 comments:

Jessi said...

I sent in my advice, too. I recommended that she only carry essentials in her diaper bag (3-4 diapers, wipes, desitin, a change of clothes, a burp cloth, and maybe a toy when he is older). I see Moms lugging suitcases around "just in case". In my experience you can usually find or do without all the diaper bag extras.

Abbi said...

I went to the baby shower and made an advice card, too, even though I have no experience so my advice isn't worth too much. I told her to not be afraid to ask for help from her sister, mom, visiting teachers, cousins, etc. And I told her to just walk away when he makes her super mad, because he'll be fine crying alone for a while.

Audra said...

I gave some really good advice. But I can't remember what I put. What did I put, Abbi?!

Abbi said...

Audra, you said that you shouldn't compare your parenting or kids to others' parenting or kids, because people always just talk about their strengths and the good things their kids do. You also said that you should work hard to read your scriptures, pray, and have FHE as a family, because those are the things that will make the family bond strong. Great advice!