Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ta-Daaaah!

About 10 years ago, I started a quilt for Abbi. She was about 12 years old at the time. It was coming along fine, til Jessi got engaged. I had to put Abbi's quilt on the back burner so I could make Jessi and David a quilt for their wedding. Then baby McKenna came along, and I needed to make a baby quilt for her. Then the next thing you know, Audra and Mike got married, and I was once again in the wedding quilt business. Then along came Lydia, Kyle & Jordan, Emily, Tanner, and Summer, all needing a quilt. Abbi's quilt sat patiently in the cupboard.
Last summer I didn't have a wedding quilt or a baby quilt to make. I knew Abbi's quilt's time had come! I figured that since Abbi had waited so long, she might as well wait a bit more while I hand-quilted hers (to make it extra-special because she had waited so long.) Almost 12 months later, Abbi's quilt was finished!! A true miracle!
A small town a few miles north of us, Coburg, Oregon, was having a community quilt show. I took the opportunity to enter Abbi's quilt in the show, and here it is:


So thank you Abbi, for your incredible patience! Sorry it has taken me so long to finish this for you. Now, if you ever have a little girl and she asks for a quilt, she won't have to wait as long as you did.

9 comments:

Jessi said...

That is SO beautiful!!!!!

Shana said...

GORGEOUS!! What talent that is!!

Kami Hall said...

That looks awesome! I wish I knew how to quilt!

Chris said...

You have always been so talented. It's nice to finally have some time to do the things you love to do. The quilt is beautiful!!!

Kimberlie said...

Wow! I am very impressed! The most creative I have gotten so far in quilting is squares. And I am currently trying a log cabin style. But the strips are a lot bigger than the typical log cabin pattern. I never thought I would like making quilts but once I tried it.. I got hooked. But I usually only get one made a year. I'm attempting to make 3 this year. We'll see what happens.

Elaine said...

Abbi I'm sure didn't mind the wait. How beautiful!!! I remember all the dolls you made and so many lovely quilts plus the crocheting.
I still have the pillows you made, remember the blue with lace (hearts, rectangle and squares?) I think about you when I see them even though they are about 25 yrs. old but everything special to me is that old....except the grandkids.

Abbi said...

Mom, thank you so much for this!! This is definitely one of my most prized possessions. I cannot wait to display it in my new home! It looks SO beautiful.

John said...

The quilt is very pretty. Because it takes about 10 years, I think I should place my order for mine now!
How fun to have a loved one who makes something special for special occasions!

Mindy said...

That is fantastic. I'm very impressed. Even after 12 years, mine would still look terrible.