Saturday, May 5, 2007

Wonder of Wonders, Miracle of Miracles!

I actually downloaded pictures from my new digital camera to my computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a miracle, and this is how it all came about: Jessi and David gave me a wonderful new digital camera for my birthday in January. Audra helped me learn how to use the camera when she came to visit me in April. Today (May 5) I read the instruction manual and installed the camera downloading-software CD onto my computer. Abbi talked with me til I figured out how to plug the camera cord into the USB port of the computer. I then continued to follow instructions and downloaded the pictures from my camera onto the computer. This is indeed a day of miracles!!!

But the drama doesn't end there! The whole reason I did this was because I wanted in the worst way to email some pictures to Abbi about her wedding. After I downloaded the pictures, I attempted to write an email to Abbi and attach the pictures for her to see. Typical to my experience with technology, the computer wouldn't connect to the internet. (It had NEVER done that before. (I suspected it was getting back at me because I had had a technology success.) Of course it happens now that I am trying something new. THAT is exactly why I avoided attempting the whole thing in the first place. I didn't want to face a technology frustration that I had no solution to!) However, I remained calm and called Comcast. The tech told me that my modem was on standby and all I needed to do to fix it was to press a button on the top of the modem. It worked! I wrote the email to Abbi, but when I tried to attach the pictures to the email, they wouldn't attach! (Can you see why technology sends me into HIGH ANXIETY mode???? Can you see why I avoided this experience for four months????) To my credit, I still remained calm and called Abbi again. She gave me the tip that I couldn't attach the whole file, I had to attach one picture at a time. Well, the rest is history. I attached one picture at a time and sent them on their way through cyberspace for Abbi's review!! I just knew I had to announce to the world that I FINALLY succeeded in overcoming my techno-avoidance and in successfully downloading pictures from my new digital camera onto my computer. Will wonders (and miracles) never cease?!

3 comments:

Audra said...

Hooray for you, mom, and your diligence! Seriously, pushing through the unknowns will be worth it. It will open up a whole new world to you that is so fun! I am so proud of you for doing that! It does take courage to tackle that porject and I am glad you announced your success!

Jessi said...

The thing with technology is it's not hard once someone shows you how to do it. Now, the next time you want to download or e-mail pics it'll be a snap. We are proud of you!! (And whenever you have questions don't hesitate to call.)

Abbi said...

Way to go Mom!!! That is a huge accomplishment, I think you should celebrate.