Friday, February 8, 2008

Sneaky

I went to the library the other day to check out "Emma" by Jane Austen for bookclub. After debating which book we should read for February, I agreed I would try one more time to read Austen and understand what in the world she is saying. (I love all her movies, so I don't know why I had such a difficult time reading "Pride and Prejudice") Well, it just so happened that all the copies of "Emma" were checked out. I did notice, however, that there was a copy of 'books on tape' of "Emma" still in the library. "Hey, why not!" I thought to myself. "No one will ever know that I listened to "Emma" instead of reading it."

Well, am I ever hooked on this books on tape thing! I can drive in the car and listen, I can do my quilting and listen, and the narrator has this wonderful high British accent that sounds just like Jane Austen herself. I can totally understand the novel now, because the narrator understand Austen-eze and pronounces it accordingly. So although I might be disappointing you Jane Austen purist fans, I am one step closer to reading & understanding the Jane Austen novels, plus - I'm getting Abbi and Chad's quilt done faster! What a deal!

8 comments:

Audra said...

I think that is very smart! I should try it.

Jessi said...

Excellent plan. I totally approve.

Kjirsten said...

I could've told you about these long ago! Books on cassette are a multi-taskers best friend! I've got a fun collection myself (my Harry Potters and Tennis Shoes among the Nephites are the best)let me know if you ever want to borrow them.

Elaine said...

My friend does alot of car traveling and she is a huge fan of books on tapes. I do one then forget but I really like it too.

Kimberlie said...

That's a great idea. I have attempted reading Jane Austin books and not enjoyed it at all. However it's been awhile. Maybe I should try again. But I like the book on tape idea much better.

Abbi said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying listening to it! You were that way on our road trips, too. That amazes me that you can process Jane Austen read aloud, because I have a hard time processing things unless I see them in print.

And thanks so much for working on our quilt--I know I am going to love it! It will become another treasure of mine among all the other gifts my family has given me.

Crystal said...

Kjirsten telling the truth. She got me started on books on tape. I love to put them on my ipod now and listen to a good book while doing chores. It makes it easier to finish big projects. I have never tried Austen on tape though thanks for the tip.

Chris said...

You're killing two birds with one stone!! I've never been a big avid reader but i'm trying. I'm readying those books that everyone is hyped up over. I just finished the first one "Twilight" and it was great.