Monday, February 26, 2007

Words of Love

On Valentine's Day I prepared a blank sheet of paper with each student's name written on top. I had them pass their papers once to the left and write a compliment or kindness to the person whose name was at the top. Then they passed the papers once again to the left and repeated the assignment. We would continue this process until everyone received their own paper back. Then they could read all the kind words that had been written about them. As we started, someone asked me, "Did you include one for you?" Since I hadn't included myself, one of the students quickly tore out a page from her notebook, put my name on the top, and wrote something down. My paper was circulated along with everyone else's. When I got it back and took time to read it, my heart soared. Those comments of kindness made me feel sooooo good! I was happy for days. What an impact a sincere word of kindness can have on your life!

Not long after that we studied D&C 95:1. "Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you whom I love, and whom I love I also chasten...." And in D&C 101:4-5 "Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried.... For all those who will not endure chastening, but deny me, cannot be sanctified." I don't know about you, but I really don't like to have to be chastened! In fact, I think I go to great lengths not to be a candidate for chastizement. But truly chastening from the Lord is also motivated by love. Words of chastening are words of love, even though they might not feel like it at the time. That's what I will have to remember next time I need to be chastized for something. Both those types of "words of love" are necessary.

4 comments:

Abbi said...

I think I like the compliment type more than the chastisement type, too! But you're right, sometimes a wake-up call is what is best for me!

Jessi said...

That is a great perspective to adopt. It totally changes the feelings associated with chastisement if I realize they are words of love given for my benefit.

Shana said...

Thanks so much for this blog. I really liked it! But I tend to also like the compliments more and not the chastisements- sometimes I am not so great at taking those. ;)

Audra said...

I am so glad one of your students told you to add a paper with your name on it! You deserve to hear how wonderful of a teacher you are.