Sunday, March 8, 2009

"I go down to my grave with joy."


I felt an overwhelming feeling of peace throughout the experience of Dad's passing away. This feeling brought to my mind Joseph of Egypt's words, "I die, and go unto my fathers; and I go down to my grave with joy." (JST Genesis 50:24) Joseph was able to say that because he had kept God's commandments, he had remained faithful to his covenants in spite of bitter hardship, and because of his righteousness he was able to save his family and a nation from starvation and death. This principle is also found in D&C 42:46: "And it shall come to pass that those that die in me shall not taste of death, for it shall be sweet unto them." I know Dad tried to live his life to qualify for that promise. Although our family shed tears at Dad's passing, there was a feeling of peace and joy for a life well-lived. Now I need to follow his example: to try every day to live close to the Savior, to keep my covenants so I can "go down to my grave with joy."


2 comments:

Kjirsten said...

I love those thoughts, I'm going to mark them in my scriptures right now.

Abbi said...

I don't remember hearing that scripture before---"I go down to my grave with joy." I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.