Sunday, March 29, 2009

Music and the Spirit

This past week I was able to go to Utah to help visit my Mom and help Sue take care of the multitude of details that have to be attended to after a death. I had a sweet experience I'd like to share with you.


I first need to introduce you to Aloha, my Mom's roommate who also suffers from Alzheimer's. Aloha is about 5 feet tall. She has a hunched back, maybe from osteoporosis, and she can't speak very clearly. I have never seen her smile, and I have never seen her receive visitors (although I am not able to visit very often.) I didn't know if Aloha could even understand if you spoke to her.


Chad, Abbi and I visited Mom one evening. As usual, Mom expressed her love for us and her happiness that we had come to see her. We began singing songs together - "I Am a Child of God," "Whenever I Hear the Song of a Bird," "Give Said the Little Stream." In the middle of one of these songs, Aloha came in and sat down in an empty chair in Mom's side of the room. She had a big smile on her face. She sat quietly and listened to every song. She had a light in her eyes that I had never seen before. The Spirit was so strong. It was a time of joy.


After we sung about four songs, Aloha, with the peaceful smile on her face, mumbled something, stood up, and walked away. Although Mom's and Aloha's minds don't remember and understand, I know their spirits felt joy that evening. I know mine surely did.

5 comments:

Caytee said...

That is such a tender story. You have a wonderful mother that we all love.

Chris said...

What an awesome experience Michelle. One that touched your heart and obviously Aloha's. My heart aches for you as you see your mom in that state of mind. But God is with her and she'll be rewarded in heaven. Thanks for sharing that spiritual experience. Made me smile this morning.

Elaine said...

Thanks for sharing this. Music is a powerful spirit builder, I remember singing and playing music to mom as she was slipping into a coma and saw the faint response.

Abbi said...

That was a really neat experience.

Kjirsten said...

Bless your heart.