Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Most Sacred Experience


On Tuesday evening at 11:23pm, February 24, my Dad passed away from severe internal injuries sustained in an auto-pedestrian accident, six days before his 89th birthday. When I received the news that he had been hit by a car, I was puzzled. In my mind I pictured him in the back yard working in the garden, and I couldn't quite understand how a car could get to the back yard to hit him. The accident occurred, however, just a few feet from his home as he crossed a busy street on his way to a Church dinner, a walk he had made thousands of times before. His time on the earth was completed, and he had gone on to be with his parents, his sisters and brother, and his two daughters and son who preceeded him in death. I know there was a happy reunion when he arrived.
As I made preparations to go to his funeral, I knew it would be a touching time for our family. I hoped we would be drawn together in love as we remembered his life and how he impacted ours. But by the time the services were over, I was filled to overflowing with love and appreciation for my Dad, our family, and the many kind people who shared our sadness at Dad's death. I remember hearing someone say that it is in death that we come to learn about life. That's how it was for me. The lessons are powerful and sacred. I know I'd heard them all before, but now I feel them. I know my attempts to share them will fall short, but I still will try. I will try to put into words one lesson each day. I don't ever want to forget them.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

What a beautiful celebration of a life well lived. It truly is through death we learn about life. It was so good to see you all brief as it was. May you feel comforted and carry on with the great legacy your Mom and Dad have so lovingly set in place.

Abbi said...

What a good idea to post your thoughts bit by bit. I look forward to hearing them!

Jessi said...

Since being home I've had a lot of people express how sad they were to hear of Grandpa's passing. And while it was sad because we will miss him, I wish I could explain how HAPPY I felt being with everyone for his funeral. It was a joyful celebration. Like you, I don't want to forget those feelings.

Chris said...

Our hearts were broken when we heard the news Michelle. None of us expect our parents to go that way. You have a wonderful family and the services were so nice. He was such an honorable man and so many people loved him. Good luck in the days ahead. They are always the hardest when reality sets in. Love you guys!!