Monday, November 19, 2007

You wanna be healthy?


Here's my latest food tip: Add a little ground flax seed to your cereal every morning, and voila! Instant good health! Here's what flax seed can do for you:
Fiber
2 Tablespoons of ground flax seed has as much fiber as 1 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal. Harmful LDL cholesterol drops and good HDL cholesterol stays put. Regularity improves also :)
Lignans
Flaxseed contains high levels of lignans, a natural antioxidant. This helps prevent unchecked cell growth (i.e. cancer) Many plant foods have some lignans, but flaxseed has at least 75 times more than any other! To get the lignans that are in just two tablespoons of flaxseed meal, you'd need to eat about 30 cups of fresh broccoli. This could pose a problem, especially if you hate broccoli!
Alpha-linolenic Acid
So what in the world is alpha-linolenic acid??? It is the plant version of omega-3 acids. The oil in flaxseed is about 50% alpha-linolenic acid. Canola and walnut oils, the next highest sources, have about 10%. Goodbye high cholesterol!
So, what are you waiting for? Write 'ground flaxseed' on your grocery list immediately! It tastes good, kind of nutty (no lingering aftertaste.) Within a few days you will be leaping tall buildings at a single bound! Well, maybe only small buildings. So what are you waiting for? Get some flaxseed and eat it asap!

9 comments:

Emma said...

It's true!!! I lowered my cholesterol almost 50 points by adding ground flax seed to my cereal and other things. I bought a cheap coffee grinder to grind it myself every morning.
I must admit I also avoided high cholesterol foods (I was good at that anyway) and exercised more.

PS I'm a friend of Audra's and Jessi's.

Michelle Pyne said...

Hey Emma, is it better for you if you grind it fresh? I keep mine already ground in the freezer.

Emma said...

I heard that it gets bitter quickly, but I haven't tried keeping it in the freezer.

Chris said...

What section of the grocery store would it be in? I'm interested in getting some!! Thanks for the info

Michelle Pyne said...

I find it in the section where they have oat bran and other kinds of flours. I think it's located in the health food section. I bet if you ask a store worker they can help you find it.

Kami Hall said...

What does it taste like? Maybe I need to try it.

Elaine said...

morris loves it, I forget i have it and don't eat it so much. Thanks for the reminder. You are too nice a about that 30 yr. old in our family picture. Just don't blow it up then you'll see the true picture. Love Ya

Laura said...

I love my ground flaxseed! I put it in everything that I bake, and everything else when Ben isn't looking. It doesn't taste like anything, it adds fiber, it has all sorts of good things in it, how could it get any better?

Kimberlie said...

Thanks for the idea! I always feel so guilty and think I could be eating so much better. This will help with that guilt thing :)