Thursday, August 2, 2007

1776

OK all you book club fans, I have a recommendation for you. You have got to read 1776 by David McClullough! If you are like me, you know the revolutionary war took place, and that the Colonies prevailed, and now we have the United States of America, and that's about it. This is an enlightening account of what happened right after the battle at Concord and Lexington. It is well-researched and well documented. It will help you realize that it was more than the ability and genius of George Washington, Henry Knox and Nathanael Greene that won the battles. You will read of miracle after miracle that enabled the "rabble in arms" to defeat the most powerful nation in the world. And you can ponder Greene's prophetic comment, "We are fighting for our country, for posterity, perhaps. On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend." We are those millions who have benefitted from their fight and their sacrifice. We should learn what took place and never forget how fortunate we are to live in a nation such a this. And finally, we have even broader perspective because we know the ultimate purpose of the founding of this nation - so the gospel could be restored and taken to all the earth.

5 comments:

Jessi said...

I picked it up last summer and couldn't get into it. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind though. I will try again!

Abbi said...

I want to read this! I am reading the Scarlet Pimpernel right now which is in the same time period, and so after I finish it I'll read 1776!

Elaine said...

EVERYTHING happens for a reason, I believe that more and more, nothing is just coincidental. All part of the big plan. What a great plan it is.

Audra said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I will put it on my list!

Crystal said...

I started a book about the Revolutionary War that received all these honors, but in the second chapter the statement was made that it was a lucky shot that everything went right for the colonists. It made me sooooo angry I never picked it up again. I truly believe it was for a wise purpose America gained its freedom and that God had his hand in it. I think I would like this book. I have been meaning to read it. Thanks for the recommendation.