Saturday, August 4, 2007

So you think you can dance.....!

I have made the decision to let you all in on one of my deepest, darkest secrets. At first I was determined to NEVER let anyone know this secret, but for some reason I feel the need to share. So here goes: I am taking tap dancing lessons! Yes, its true. Now after you finish rolling around on the floor in laughter, please hear me out on this. You need to know the rest of the story.....


Sister Aileen, one of the Nun's at Mel's hospital (a Catholic healthcare facility), invited me to join her and a few other older-than-forty women who were taking tap lessons. My first thought was ,"Never in a million years!" Then I reconsidered. Why not? It might be fun. Sister Aileen reassured me the class was made up mostly of women like myself who had no intentions of going professional. It was just for fun and exercise. Hey, I could do that. A thousand years ago when I was young I took a couple of months' tap lessons. I decided to live dangerously and try it.

Well, I totally and completely enjoyed the first lesson! It was soooo fun! I even remembered the "shuffle-ball-change" steps of my first lessons many many years ago. I was a natural! After the second lesson, I am ready to invest financially in the whole thing and buy my very own tap shoes! (Now there's commitment for you!) When I dance, I can just feel all kinds of new neurological connections being made in my brain as I try to get my feet to do what my brain is telling them to do. Now I can exercise and not even know it! Now I can exercise and actually enjoy it! What a deal!

So, the next time you see me, if you want a little demonstation of what I am working on, I'd be happy to oblige. I do not see any performances on the big stage in my future, but I'm sure I can teach all my granddaughters a little dance or two. And, I just might ward off old-age-senility for another year or two. So watch out dancing world, here I come!

10 comments:

Chris said...

Buffalo one, buffalo two, buffalo three shuffle ballchange..hahaah..I am so jealous Michelle!!! I would do that in a heartbeat. I tapped when I was younger. I can still remember the dance "We don't like boys, they always pull our hair"..and I can even still see my costume!!! Ok..where do I sign up?

Shana said...

HOW FUN!!!! That is seriously AWESOME!!! :) WAY TO GO GIRL!

Abbi said...

Oh, mom!!!! I'm so jealous!! I bet that is so, so much fun! And I have no doubt that you are really good at it! I can't wait to see your steps when we visit in FIVE DAYS! :) Yay!

Kami Hall said...

"Oh where is the chicken in the chicken chowmein? The chicken chowmein? The chicken chowmein? Oh where is the chicken in the chicken chowmein? Chicken..where can you be?" That was one of the songs I sang when I was in tap with Ms. Stot. That's so cool you're taking that!

Elaine said...

YEA FOR YOU!!!! HOW fun. Morris got us in a SALSA class for excercise. It is a killer but fun.

Jessi said...

I am SO PROUD of you!!! There is a lady in our ward (remember LaRue from the Halloween party??) that takes tap dance lessons. Maybe you can motivate Lydia to start dancing again!

Laura said...

Michelle! That is so wonderful! (This is Laura, Abbi's friend, by the way). You give me hope, because there are a lot of things I still want to try but haven't had the chance yet. By the way, I don't mind if you read my blog at all- I confess, I read yours as well. :) I can't wait to see you guys in Eugene sometime this weekend!

Audra said...

You are an awesome woman, and an inspiration to all! Can't wait to see your moves!

John said...

When I read this, I did start laughing but then realized I didn't know you so how could I think it was funny. I decided that as I picture you, the story is funny. I guess I imagine Audge dancing and that would be somewhat amusing. Just kidding Audge! (I know that is not fair also because I don't even know you that well :))

However, I think it is great that you are trying this and you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your deep secret.

Here is the problem. I might not ever see you. So I would pay good money for you to post a clip on your blog of you dancing. ;)

Enjoy those new neurological connections!

Audra said...

Watch it, John.