Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Wonderful Weekend!

I'm happy to report our weekend with Abbi and Chad was the greatest! We managed to fit in everything we had planned and it all went like clockwork. We discovered that the very large group of sea lions on the coast spend their August in the water, not in the famous Sea Lion cave. Luckily we saw a pretty good group of them sunning on a ledge, so we were able to get our money's worth. We endured the cold, cutting wind on our walk on the beach and discovered why the Oregon beaches are not world-famous for summer vacations. We laughed at Abbi's delight at ordering a plain chocolate chip ice cream cone and at being able to fit in all her letters in our speed-Scrabble game. We visited the beautiful new Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend, and our old home and the elementary school Abbi attended. We had a leisurely lunch on the Willamette River and took in all the sights of the famous Eugene Saturday market. One of the most interesting items there was a very bright and colorful tie-dyed toilet paper. We wondered if that was supposed to be functional or purely decorative........ (Do any of you want to order that for your upcoming Christmas present?) We had a great Sunday and enjoyed dinner with Abbi's friends Laura and Ben who came down from Portland. Abbi got a haircut and chose the pattern she liked for their wedding quilt. We watched all four hours of the movie "Gandhi" in our media room (it was great - we would highly recommend it to you!) And then we laughed some more. The only negative was seeing them off at the airport on Monday. We are thankful for planes that make these mini-vacations possible! And we plan to do it again real soon, with Abbi and Chad and with all our kiddos and grandkiddos! Does anyone want to schedule their next Eugene visit now? We hope so!

10 comments:

Shana said...

I DO! It sounds like so much fun!! I am glad you guys had a blast!!!

Shana said...

I DO! It sounds like so much fun!! I am glad you guys had a blast!!!

Kimberlie said...

I do too! I miss the Northwest so much. We were only there for a year and a half but I'm hooked, it's for sure the place for me! I keep on telling Chris our next move is to the Northwest somewhere and then we are staying there for a long time :)

Chris said...

You and Mel are quite the entertainers and really know how to show people a good time. It sounds like you accomplished a lot in that short amount of time. Glad you enjoyed it. We need to get up there some time too.

Kami Hall said...

I do I do!! That toilet paper sounds interesting too. I'd give it to someone as a gag gift! hahaha! Your home is BEAUTIFUL!! I would LOVE to see the rest of it!

Abbi said...

What a well-written synopsis of our vacation! It makes me so happy to think of all the good times we had! And thanks also for talking with me this morning. I think I was having the post-vacation blues, and you were very nice to hear me out. :) I love you so much!!

Mindy said...

Can I order my Christmas gift? J/K

Michelle Pyne said...

Mindy, just let me know how many rolls you want, and I'll pick them up this Saturday!

Jessi said...

We want to come SO bad!!! But, hearing all the little details helps ease the pain of not being there. Thanks for the report!

(And the next time you're at Sat. Market ask them if the TP is functional. I'm curious now!)

Crystal said...

I want to come. You treated us so well on both my trips to your home. It sounds soooo fun. Wish I was there.