Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Words for the Day

I've come upon some words I didn't know, and thought you'd like to benefit and increase your vocabulary. Here they are:

redoubts: small, often temporary defensive fortifications

panegyric: (in 1770's it was spelled panegyrick) a lofty oration or writing in praise of a person or thing; eulogy

nuncupative: delivered orally to witnesses rather than written (as a nuncupative will)

abstemious: eating and drinking in moderation

If you already knew these, I am impressed at your knowledge of vocabulary!

Now let's try and use them:
The redoubts were hastily abandoned when the enemy broke through their lines.
I plan on writing several panegyrics in my blog about the wonderful people I know.
The dying man issued his nuncupative will on his death bed.
I suppose John is an abstemious individual, being high in intellect and wisdom.

I can't wait to read your sentences!

6 comments:

Elaine said...

I have never heard of any of those words 'Cause I'm too busy playing "the mom and Dad" with Sierra and Connor.excuses, excuses...

Shana said...

I AM NOT THAT SMART! ;)

Jessi said...

You're making us work!!

1. While reading the latest "Harry Potter" book I set up redoubts to keep the girls out of my room.
2. Every Mothers Day I want to write a panegyric in praise of my Mom, but words always fail me.
3. McKenna delivered a nuncupative argument about why I should ground Lydia for hitting.
4. I always include being more abstemious in my New Years resolutions.

Next I want a basic French lesson.

Michelle Pyne said...

Woohoo Jessi! Way to go! Your sentences are awesome!

John said...

A nuncupative will is ineffective to devise real property (real estate) in Texas.

If I had not gone to lawschool then I would not know any of those words!

Jessi wins! She went above and beyond the challenge.

Kami Hall said...

I can't do it...