Friday, January 11, 2008

Je vais parler francais!

I have a wonderful friend who is from Switzerland. She speaks French and also gives private French lessons. It all of a sudden dawned on me to take lessons from her and brush up on my French! How many times do you have an opportunity to have private lessons from a native speaker???? I took French classes in junior high, high school, and college. In fact, I minored in French. I could read it pretty well, but it was all I could do to open my mouth and say anything for fear of becoming the laughing stock of the world. I haven't tried to improve my speaking or increase my knowledge for years and years. So here goes - life-long learning and all that!

My first lesson was so fun! I struggled at first with that strong feeling of panic when she would ask me a question in French. But she didn't laugh or mock or point her finger at me at all when I made a weak attempt at answering her questions. Then she gave me the cutest little book of short stories to read. I think I'm going to like this!

So. Anyone want to plan a trip to Paris?

7 comments:

Kami Hall said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go to Pris! If only I could, huh! I didn't know you spoke french? I always used to pretend I could. I would love to learn italian though.

Jessi said...

I've been meaning to ask you to give us a basic lesson online. French is everywhere in literature and I never know how to pronounce any of it (let alone figure out what it means!) Give us a little tutorial and then we can go to Paris with you!!

Diana said...

I took French in high school, but I didn't retain much. Good job on keeping your mind active and challenging yourself!

Abbi said...

Pick me! Pick me! I'll go to Paris with you! :)

That's awesome you're taking French lessons! I really want to learn Spanish.

Audra said...

I like how you speak French. I always thought you were so cool when you'd say a few words in French!

I'll be your photographer in Paris.

Crystal said...

I love how you spend you time. You take tap dancing and now French lessons. I love how you are always learning. Good for you.

Kjirsten said...

Chouette! C'est fantastique que tu parles francais. C'est la plus belle langue du monde. Je suis toujours libre a aller en France.